64 FACTS ABOUT AFRICA YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT
1. Modern Hùmans are believed to have originated in Botswana🇧🇼, within the past 200, 000 years ago, solidifying the “Out of Africa Theory.
2. Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶 is Africa’s Spanish-speaking country.
3. Morocco 🇲🇦 is the most visited African country.
4. Nigeria 🇳🇬 has the richest Black person in Africa, Aliko Dangote.
5. Samuel Eto’o 🇨🇲 was formerly the highest paid Footballer in the world, he received about £350,000 weekly in Russia in 2011.
6. The northern most off Africa is Cape Angela in Tunisia 🇹🇳.
7. Lesotho🇱🇸 is the only independent state in the world that lies entirely above 1,000 metres (3,281 ft) in elevation.
8. There was a dinosaur discovered in Niger 🇳🇪, believed to have been there around 115 to 105 million years ago. It was named Nigersaurus.
8. Burkina Faso 🇧🇫 is a leader in African art and culture and hosts the largest craft market in Africa.
9. Nigeria 🇳🇬 has won more football cups than Eñgland.
10. Zimbabwe’s 🇿🇼 former President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe was the world’s most educated President with 7 University degrees, two of them are Masters.
11. Al-Ahly of Egypt 🇪🇬 is the richest football club in Africa.
12. Didier Drogba 🇨🇮 is Chelsea’s highest goalscorer in European competition.
13. Johannesburg, South Africa 🇿🇦 is the richest city in Africa.
14. Zinedine Zidane wanted to play for Algeria 🇩🇿, but the selector rejected him, saying they are already many players like him in the team.
15. President Nelson Mandela 🇿🇦 is regarded as the most well-known person in the world.
16. President Robert Mugabe 🇿🇼 was jailed for 11 years for fighting for freedom.
17. Egypt 🇪🇬 was the first inventor of Paper and Ink.
18. Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶 has the highest literacy rate in Africa, 95% (2020).
19. In Rwanda 🇷🇼 There is better gender equality than in England 🇬🇧 and the USA 🇺🇸.
20. Somalia 🇸🇴 got its first ATM on October 7, 2014.
21. South Africa 🇿🇦 has the most Grammy award winners in Africa.
22. Ethiopia 🇪🇹 has the most airports in Africa.
23. Ethiopia’s 🇪🇹 economy is growing faster than China’s.
24. Eritrea’s 🇪🇷 President, Isaias Afwerki is the least richest President in Africa.
25. Ethiopia 🇪🇹 is Africa’s oldest independent country, it has existed for over 3,000 years without being colonised.
26. Haile Selassie 1 was the 225th and last Emperor of Ethiopia 🇪🇹.
27. Nigeria 🇳🇬 has the most monarchs in the world.
28. Angola 🇦🇴 has more Portuguese
speakers than Portugal 🇵🇹.
29. President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos has ruled Angola 🇦🇴 since 1979.
30. President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo is Africa’longest-serving Head of State. He has ruled Equatorial Guinea since August 3, 1979, when he overthrew his uncle, Francisco Nguema. His son, Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue is his Vice President and will succeed him if he resigns.
31. George Weah of Liberia 🇱🇷 is the first man to win World, European and African Footballer of the Year in the same year.
32. Eswatini 🇸🇿 is the only remaining absolute monarch in the world.
33. The Gambia 🇬🇲 is the smallest country in Africa followed by Eswatini 🇸🇿.
34. The first black African Gold medalist is Abebe Bikila from Ethiopia 🇪🇹, who won in 1960 after running barefoot.
34.1. King Sobhuza II of eSwatini 🇸🇿, married 70 wives, who gave him 210 children between 1920 and 1970.
35. Zimbabwe 🇿🇼 is the only country in the world where almost everyone was a billionaire at one point due to hyperinflation.
36. Kenya 🇰🇪 has the highest-paid members of parliament. They are paid more than those even in oil-rich countries.
37. Botswana 🇧🇼 has the most valuable Diamonds and the richest diamond mine in the World, The Jwaneng diamond mine.
38. Ghana 🇬🇭 was the first country in sub-Saharan Africa to gain independence post-colonialism.
39. Ghana 🇬🇭 was ranked as Africa’s most peaceful country by the Global Peace Index. Lake Volta, in the Volta region of the country, is the world’s largest man-made lake.
40. Ugandans 🇺🇬 were ranked as the best English speakers in Africa (2017).
41. Tanzania 🇹🇿 is the largest country in East Africa and includes the islands of Zanzibar, Pemba and Mafia.
42. Nigeria 🇳🇬 is the most populous country in Africa, with over 215 million population.
43. Rwanda 🇷🇼 is now the largest producer of Coltan, a mineral used to make tantalum using mobile phones, cameras etc.
44. In 2009, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) 🇨🇩 had an estimated $24 trillion in untapped mineral deposits, including the world’s largest reserves of coltan and significant quantities of the world’s cobalt reserves.
45. Malawi 🇲🇼 is home to the third largest lake in Africa, Lake Malawi.
46. Malawi 🇲🇼 is the first tea producer in Africa at a commercial scale.
47. Zambia 🇿🇲 relies on copper as one of its biggest exports.
48. Zambia’s 🇿🇲 South Luangwa National Park has one of Africa’s highest densities of big game.
49. Kenya 🇰🇪 is the first and only African country to produce USA president, Barrack Hussein Obama
50. South Africa 🇿🇦 has the highest number of super-rich residents in Africa, with 38,400 dollar millionaires.
51. Gambia 🇬🇲 produced the highest judge on the international court of Justices Fatouou Bensouda.
52. The highest mountain in Africa is Kilimanjaro found in Tanzania 🇹🇿 the second highest in the world.
53. The longest river in the world, the Nile starts from Uganda 🇺🇬 but it is controlled by the y Egyptian 🇪🇬 Government.
54. South Sudan is the Youngest country after it was declared free and independent in July 2011 🇸🇸. She is rich in mineral resources and agricultural products, Petroleum among Others yet her citizens are poor.
55. Cape Town🇿🇦 has been voted the best city in the world 7 times, On the Telegraph Travel Award.
56. Liberia 🇱🇷 was the first African country to gain independence in 1847.
57. Cameroon 🇨🇲 is the first country in Africa to reach the quarter-finals.
58. Environmentalist Wangare waMaathaii of Kenya 🇰🇪 was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize.
59. Lesotho 🇱🇸 is a landlocked country in South Africa.
60. Sierra Leone 🇸🇱 is the country with the h oldest university with Western style and also the oldest church in western Sahara.
61. Seychelles 🇸🇨 is the most developed country in Africa
62. Madagascar 🇲🇬 is the world’s largest producer of Vanilla.
63. Mozambique 🇲🇿 is the only one-word country name to feature all 5 vowels.
64. Namibia 🇳🇦 is home to the world’s oldest desert, Namib desert, dating back to 55 mya.
65. eSwatini 🇸🇿 has the world’s oldest mine, Ngwenya mine.