As Nigeria continues to battle the second wave of the dreaded coronavirus, the Federal Government has released new protocols for religious centres to adhere to.
According to the Federal Ministry of Health, the protocols include 12 updated guidelines for religious gatherings to follow to minimise the spread of coronavirus.
The 12 guidelines are as follows:
- Ensure temperature checks at points of entry, persons with temperature over 37.50C should be asked to leave and seek medical attention.
- Have handwashing facilities in front of places of worship. For Muslims, encourage them to perform ablution at home.
- Clearly separate and mark areas in place of worship, to ensure 2 metres distance between people.
- Ensure separate entry and exit points in places for worship and overcrowding at entry and exit points.
- Offer alcohol-based hand sanitisers as they enter the place of worship.
- Inform worshippers to keep a 2 metres distance from the nearest worshipper.
- Ensure adequate ventilation in halls of worship, open windows, and doors for air to circulate in and out freely most especially when using air conditioners
- To abide by NCDC guidelines on mass gathering, places of worship may have to hold several worship and prayer sessions in a day with a limited number of participants in each service according to available space.
- As much as possible, virtual meetings, preaching and visits are encouraged in place of physical ones.
- Encourage congregating in open spaces
- Establish a regular sanitising or cleaning routine, surfaces frequently touched must be cleaned at intervals during worship 1
- Always and ensure and enforce the use of facemasks. Notices on the use of facemask must be placed at entry points and within premises of places of worship.